Florida’s “Gordon Rule” requires students to successfully complete 4 writing-intensive courses (12 credits) and 2 math-intensive courses (6 credits) prior to receipt of an associate in arts degree or entry into the upper division of a Florida public university or college.
Gordon Rule Communication courses develop and assess competency in college-level writing skills through multiple assignments. At a minimum, students in Gordon Rule communication courses must write 4500 words that receive instructional feedback that relates to writing effectiveness. At least one assignment must include submission of a revision in response to previous feedback. In such cases both the original draft and the revised draft can count toward the 4500 word minimum. The Communications requirement is met by the following courses:
- Two courses (6 credits) of English Composition, taken as part of General Education
- Two courses (6 credits) of additional coursework that require college-level writing skills through multiple assignments. At USFSM General Education Humanities courses fulfill this part of the writing requirements.
Gordon Rule Computation courses develop and assess competency in college-level mathematics skills. The Computation requirement is met by the following courses:
- Two courses (6 credits) of approved General Education mathematics coursework.
Gordon Rule Policies
- Gordon Rule credit requires earning a course grade of at least C-.
- Students must maintain a grade point average of at least 2.0 in courses meeting the Gordon Rule requirement.
- Students with certain types of disabilities may request test accommodations in Gordon Rule courses.
- The Gordon Rule communication and computation requirements are considered met for any student entering USFSM with an A.A. from a Florida public institution.
- The Gordon Rule communication requirement is considered met for any student entering USFSM with 60 or more semester hours.
- Students shall receive Gordon Rule credit for specific courses upon entering USFSM in the following situations:
- Students awarded college credit in English composition or mathematics at the level of College Algebra or higher, based on having taken a dual enrollment course, Advanced Placement, or International Baccalaureate.
- Students who transfer in with Gordon Rule credit, awarded at another public Florida institution.
The Gordon Rule is codified by State Board of Education Rule 6A-10.030/BOG Articulation Resolution (Statewide Articulation Manual).
Gordon Rule Communication Courses (6AC) (12 credits)
Gordon Rule communication requirements are satisfied through the completion of General Education Requirements. Lower-level General Education Communication Courses (ENC 1101 and ENC 1102) and all Lower-level General Education Humanities courses at USFSM are approved for Gordon Rule Communication.
The Gordon Rule requirement should be fulfilled at the lower level; however, all Communication and Critical Thinking Pillars courses have been approved to meet this requirement for transfer students who have already taken a version of the qualifying lower-level courses and thus need another option to meet the Gordon Rule requirement.
Please refer to the General Education Requirements and Upper-level Pillars pages for full course listings.
Gordon Rule Computation Courses (6AM) (2 courses, 6 credits)
Gordon Rule Computation Requirements are satisfied through the completion of General Education Requirements. Lower-level general education mathematics courses at USFSM are approved for Gordon Rule Computation. Additionally, any mathematics course with an MAC prefix and number above 1105 qualifies as a Gordon Rule Computation course.
Please refer to the General Education Requirements page for full course listings.